Ariela ’13 won our first contest of 2009-10 with this shot of her cousin’s fifth birthday party, and the UV staff is ready for submissions for the next issue of 2009-10. Send in your best, and we’ll put our top pick in the November issue. Only the winner goes in the printed edition, but we’ll post as many as we can in the online edition – check out our other September submissions below.
Here are the basics:
- Prize is $25 cold hard cash (… or check).
- We’re looking for photojournalism – life happening as opposed to still portraiture of landscapes. (Still portraiture is beautiful, but we’re a newspaper, so we like the “life happening” thing.)
- We prefer photos from your portfolio that are as recent as possible.
- For the first issue, great shots from your summer travels, however local or wide, are great. But great shots that explore and capture the everyday life of Los Angeles can be just as compelling.
- The winning photo will run in black-and-white format in the printed paper, so give us photos that will retain their strength in that format. (We can run color versions on the UV Online.)
- Submit photos via e-mail to our adviser at email@example.com. The adviser will then give them, without names attached, to staff to consider.
- Though only one photo will run as the winner the UltraViolet, we will display as many submissions as practical on our website!